Friday, December 15, 2006

Happy Christmahanukwanza!


Trying to recover my former style of writing poetry (consisting of odd subjects, humorous expressions and non-living things turned inside-out) I put pen to paper the other day and this is what came out. Not my best work, but 'tis certainly the season.

Sip a draught of beer,
Or any available cheer.
Kick back your heels and rest,
There is no cause for stress:
Is there another time of year
Like Christmas to the New Year,
Where politics are cast aside?
Or should be; this is a time to bide
Others’ faults, oddities and beliefs,
Not a time for the giving of grief.
Bad spirits, sour grapes,
Comments about old drapes,
Begone! to the rest of the year
(Where forgotten, I fear
Is Christ’s mass and Christ’s word
And Christ’s name is used as a sword).
Would it that he could rise once again
And teach us to be, year-round, civil men.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I think that's me in the green hat behind the jesus statue! It looks like i'm trying to take jesus's wallet!

Anonymous said...

Amen to that.

Silvanus Slaughter said...

Well crafted, humorous, and affecting.

David said...

I really like this blog. I will certainly be able to benefit from this information. buy YouTube Views cheap