Monday, October 09, 2006

I’ll take (pictures of) Manhattan





I went to NYC for the turn of 2000-01 with two friends, and that was the year that the city was snowed in. My friend, Eric, was on the very last flight in -- the rest were cancelled -- which was fortunate, that he made it, I mean, because I hadn't bothered to copy down any of the hotel information, or his cell phone number.

I had actually for years planned on going for the '99-00 turn of the millennia, but I panicked that year figuring it was too large of a celebration not to get hit by terrorists. I always think about stuff like that, which is one reason I was miffed when after 9/11/01 people kept claiming that "nobody could have imagined the terrorists could strike in the U.S." Actually, what really bothered me were people working insipid jobs, like some Hollywood gossip columnist, saying things like "It just doesn’t seem right to report on who is dating who right now." As if somehow, in the other 51 weeks of the year, every year, writing a gossip column is a serious business necessary for the survival of humanity.

But I digress. Here we were, trapped in Manhattan in the dead of winter, and the snow would not stop falling. Transit was shut down, as were city services, like garbage trucks, and there was a blanket of white over the whole town. It was an excellent first trip to "The City" for me. I took a boatload of photos, but most of it is still unprinted. I'll get around to building that darkroom, someday, when we have the money. But I have a shot or three that I scanned some time ago, so I figured I'd post them here. When I get around to scanning some of my other better pix, I'll toss them up on the blog as well. If Eric ever emails me any of his good shots, like the one of the working women hanging out at the bar, I'll post them as well. If you haven't met Eric yet, he's the one leaning up against the wall in the 72nd street subway stop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Dave! I'm so glad you are putting up your poems and photos.